Worksheet: What Men Live By
1. Why does Simon want to pass the stranger by?
2. Why does he change his mind?
3. What sign to you have that this man may be special in some way?
4. What reason does the man give for being there?
5. What does Simon’s wife expect of him?
6. Why is she angry with Simon?
7. Why does her heart soften?
8. How does she show her concern for the stranger?
9. Describe Michael’s behavior?
10. How does the rich gentleman behave?
11. Why does Michael make a pair of soft slippers for the man?
12. What happened to the mother of the two little girls?
13. What is the proverb Matrena quotes?
14. Why does Michael smile three times?
15. What are the three truths Michael learns? Is one lesson more important than another?
16. How have Simon and his wife been rewarded for their kindness?
17. What is the turning point of the story?
18. What indirect characterization does the author use to describe _____________
19. What are some of the characteristics of a folk tale?