Worksheet: Ring of General Macias
1. What does Marica try to do at the beginning of the play? Why is this a problem?
2. What is Marica’s view of the revolutionary soldiers?
3. How long have Raquel and her husband been married? What is their relationship like?
4. What was Captain Andres’ job before the war?
5. Why do Andres and Cleto hide from the Federalist army in the house of General Macias?
6. What does Andres show Raquel to show he’s “religious”?
7. What events in the past have made Andres hate the upper class?
8. Where does Cleto hide?
9. How does Raquel fool the Federalist captain?
10. How does she fool Marica?
11. What does Andres offer to take to General Macias?
12. Why is the trip of Andres and Cleto to the city important for their cause?
13. What does Cleto think of General Macias? Why?
14. Why does Cleto fight for the cause of the revolution? What does he hope to gain?
15. According to both Andres and Raquel who’s going to win this war? Why?
16. How does Raquel defeat her enemies?
17. As she waits at the end of the play what does she keep with her ? Why?
18. In many ways this story is a character study of Racquel. Describe her character and give examples.
19. Was her sacrifice justified? (Should she have saved her husband’s life instead of his honor?)
20. Why does Raquel value honor above love? Or does she?
21. Does her view of the revolution (and the revolutionaries) change by the end of the play? If so, in what way?